November 11th was National Orphan Sunday. Frankly, every Sunday should be Orphan Sunday.
Our church is advocating for John and other children in foster care. You can help John and other children find a forever family!
“John is a sweet 10 year old boy! He said, “I really, really want to be adopted!” He is described as being all boy. John loves playing outside and catching bugs. He is very sweet and fun to be around. John likes to make jokes, and his infectious laugh will spread to anyone around him! He is competitive, athletic and ambidextrous. John is artistic and loves to draw- especially Minions and Pikachu from Pokémon. He desires a family that will love him unconditionally and be patient as he works through his trauma.”
- Nearly 7% of all orphans in the USA are in Texas
- 17,000 children in Foster Care in Texas
- 340 kids are currently in Tarrant County foster care waiting to be adopted
- 20% of the children who were in foster care will become instantly homeless when they reach 21.
- 7 out of 10 girls who age out of the foster care system will become pregnant before the age of 21.
- 25% of children who age out of the foster care system still suffer from PTSD
Not everyone is called to adopt or become a foster parent. However, everyone can advocate for children in the foster care system.
Creative ways to help:
- Pray for children in the foster care system and families who choose to step in.
- Share the need on Social Media and with your community
- Advocate for these children by becoming their voice in the family courts CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate)
- Advocate for these kids in your community group, your church or civic group
- Support adoptive families by asking how you can help them
- Create a meal calendar with your friends and family to bring a weekly meal to an adoptive/foster family
- Get certified and trained to provide respite care for these families
- Ask an adoptive family if you can mow their lawn or help with some chores
- Do they have transportation challenges? or need a bigger car? Gather a community group to fund a vehicle
- Do they have a child with physical challenges that require accommodations like wheel chair ramps, etc? Meet that need.
- Go to the grocery store for them
- Help them celebrate special events like birthdays and Thanksgiving
- Adoption is expensive – are their ways you can help financially? Pay a water bill or mortgage for a month.
- Give the parents a ‘Night Out’ by paying for a sitter and providing a gift card to a restaurant.
- Offer to take the entire family to the zoo or a museum or just a park
- Get creative or just ask a family what you can do to help!
- Find out more here…
Get in the game!
A Message to the Church
“There are almost 17,000 kids in foster care in Texas. That seems like a crazy number until you hear there are almost 30,000 churches in Texas! There is more to Orphan Care than just fostering or adopting. If one Christian family from every church adopted and that church agreed to support and wrap around that family there would no no more orphans in Texas.“
“Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.”