I am a recovered punk.
So, I know one when I see one. A punk is a selfish adolescent boy living in a 25+ year old body who cares only about his interests. He pursues pleasure and instant gratification. If he seems nice, it was only a means to an end. The older the punk, the bigger the disaster the world must deal with.
Last Sunday, I had the privilege to hang out with abortion survivor, singer and speaker Gianna Jessen. This remarkable woman spoke four times at our church. I won’t go into her story here but I’ll put a link at the end of this post for you to find out more about her. She’s my wise little sister. Gianna challenged me and a couple thousand men to behave like the brave warriors we were created to be and reject the emasculation that plagues our culture. She had a special message to men, “Men, you are made for greatness!” In order to be great, you have to stop being a punk!
On behalf of all recovered punks everywhere, I am sorry. To those we mistreated and misled, particularly the women, I am sorry. We ‘should’ have been lifting you up and protecting you. We should NOT have given into passivity. We should have taken responsibility for our actions.
Now that I got that off my chest, I am happy to tell you I am years removed from my punk days. I may have my moments, but I know my wife, family and friends like the current version better than the old. So, I have some advice for my brothers today.
It’s time that men in this country stop being punks!
Why should you stop being a punk?
First off, because you are not a child and the world does not revolve around you (or me). Not only is a punk selfish and immature, he is a blight on society. A punk is a pimple on the ass of a generation and every generation has their fair share. Men, God did not create us to be punks. He created us in His image. We are to fight the good fight, defending women and children. We are to care for the weak and the needy. We are ordained accomplish big stuff and fight big battles. You can’t accomplish big stuff or win battles if you are a freakin’ punk.
How do you stop being a punk?
1. Admit that you are a punk and turn from your punkish ways.
2. Stop being freakin’ lame and passive. Tolerating every little nuanced proclivity in our culture to be seen as ‘cool’ by your lame friends is foolish and lame.
3. Take responsibility for your actions. If you screw up, own up to it and ask for forgiveness. Don’t do it again.
4. Stop using women. Be a one woman man. Stop worshiping porn idols.
5. Protect women, children and the weak. That means stand up against those who take advantage of them. Take a bullet or beating if you must.
6. Be chivalrous. Open any and every woman’s door. Start there and see if that improves your situation.
7. Clean up your language and your life. Stop behaving and talking like you are some kind of rapper. You are a punk and people think you are an idiot. (I’m not talking about the Ramones sort who played fantastic punk music).
8. Call your mom and apologize. She needs to hear it from you. She knows you are a punk and has been praying for you to stop being an idiot for years. Call her now.
In conclusion, the world needs us men to behave like real men not punks. In fact, the culture is crying out for it. When we take a stand for what is right, things will change. Our relationships will grow and we will win back the respect we have lost over the last 40 years.
“Men, you are made for greatness!”
Learn more about Gianna Jessen here.
Watch her message here
If you wish to subscribe to this blog, please sign-up here. Every time I post something new, you will receive an email.
I sooooo love this post! Probably by far one of my favorite reads you have done..and there have been many, but this is my favorite! Keep up the good work! You are AWESOME!!!!!
Christy. It was fun writing it. Thanks and see you around the Chapel. Thanks